Sunday, August 23, 2009

Episode 6: "The Blues Brothers"

Having been born 3 years after the release of this film, "The Blues Brothers" is one of those movies that finds itself on what I like to call the "My Dad Was Right List." You know those things, whether it be movies, music, books, or whatever that your dad makes you be a party to and you think it sucks. And then one day you're not 9 anymore and suddenly these things make sense. I'm sure I enjoyed parts of "Blues Brothers" as a kid because how could I not but the humor didn't really register. At some point I guess I watched it on my own and immediately recognized the genius of this film.

I feel like if I was in my early 20s in 1980, "Blues Brothers" would have been "Anchorman" for me and my friends. There are so many absolutely BRILLIANT quotes that I don't think I would have been able to stop myself from using them in daily conversations the way I do with "Anchorman." The part of the blog where I pick my favorite quote from each film will actually be difficult this time around because there are so many great lines. I think I'm a pretty funny guy until I watch a movie like "Blues Brothers" and just marvel over how someone came up with these lines and these ideas.

The thing about "Blues Brothers," though, is its simplicity. I'm a big fan of witty dialogue and hidden jokes-within-jokes like you find on "Arrested Development" or "30 Rock." But the problem with witty humor is if it isn't done correctly it comes off as stale and labored. Therefore it's often not funny, it's just witty for the sake of being witty. With "Blues Brothers" you have a ton of jokes and funny moments that are straight and to the point. There is no wasted word or movement. I think the makers of the film just get that it's funny that the Blues Brothers sneak around in sync to the tune of the song being played inside. Or when a cop just shouts, "Son of a (gun)" and shoots his gun after crashing his car. Or how in EVERY SINGLE car chase the cop cars follow the Bluesmobile no matter what destruction will result from such a move. The physical comedy and the simple joke are big players in "Blues Brothers" and it works so incredibly well.

You do have to suspend reality to really appreciate this movie, however. There are THOUSANDS of things that happen that are impossibilities. But just go with it. These guys are on a mission from God! So why wouldn't there be a whip on the wall when the band is singing the theme song from "Rawhide?" Why wouldn't Ray Charles be able to "see" a kid trying to steal a guitar? Why wouldn't Carrie Fisher be able to get her hands on and subsequently fire an RPG into a building? "Blues Brothers" is a comedic masterpiece that I think just gets better the more times you watch it. A+.

Best character: Carrie Fisher, Mystery Woman
I love the straight delivery Fisher goes with for this character. She's angry and out of control but she's also very deliberate and efficient. Why shoot someone with one bullet when you can just as easily use an M-70 flame thrower to blow up a propane tank?

Best scene: The first gig
There's a lot of great shots in this film and gosh I love the car chase through the mall! But for me, the scene where the Blues Brothers Band plays at the redneck bar is perfect. I love the way in which Belushi delivers his lines, I love the whip, I love how the number of bottles being thrown doesn't change from when the crowd is angry to when they're excited, and I love the guy crying at the end of "Stand By Your Man."

Best line:
There are oh so many to choose from.

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Bar lady: Oh we got both kinds: country AND western!

I hate Illinois Nazis,
Brian

"The Blues Brothers" through Lindsey's eyes:

I totally should have seen this movie years ago. I had seen clips of it and it's been on while I was in the room, but never have I sat down to watch the whole thing. This is totally my kind of movie. I liked it, but I didn't laugh near as much as the audience I was viewing with. Well, let me correct myself, I wasn't laughing near as much as the boys I was viewing with.

I loved the music references, it was so fantastical. I was really excited when the opening credits labeled a "choreographer" that contributed to the film. I had no idea there was dancing. For those familiar with the movie, didn't seem to care so much about those things, they put their focus on the Car Humor.

Apparently, there is this whole type of humor that I've never acknowledged before, Car Humor. Car Humor occurs when a film entertains the crowd by car crashes, dumps, and flight. I scanned the room during the Car Humor scenes and it was the guys crying with laughter. A couple girls chuckled here and there, but I guess we aren't wired to appreciate Car Humor like guys.

I didn't laugh out loud too much in this movie, but I believe I will the more I watch it. I think it's going to be like Monty Python for me. I didn't truly laugh out loud often during my first viewing, if I did, it was to look cool. The more I watched it, the more I appreciated the humor. Now, I don't think I will ever quite get Car Humor, but I'm willing to give it another try. Great movie, definitely recommend it.

Finally...a comedy from Brian's list,
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. I trust that is a long list.

    I think the absurdity is the whole point of the Blues Brothers, and what makes it funny. Like when the band suddenly becomes Cab Calloway's band with white tuxes and glittering white music stands.

    Plus, it has some of the best rhythm-and-blues music going.

    Always a fun film.

    ReplyDelete