Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Great Film Retrospective Begins

I think it’s safe to say that anyone who knows me knows I stinking love movies. The vast majority of my “entertainment” money is spent on either going to the movies, renting a movie, or buying a Blu-Ray (I’ve moved on from DVDs). I’m not sure exactly when this started or why, really, but as far back as I can remember I have been fascinated by the silver screen.

Lindsey is slightly less interested in the motion pictures industry. Sure, she’ll see a movie now and then and she’s got a few that she really loves. But whereas I’m likely to pop in one of the 200+ movies that I currently own when I’m just sitting around the house, she’s far more disposed to watching whatever fine programming MTV and The Food Network have to offer at the moment. Being the movie connoisseur that I am, I can link just about any real life situation to a film and issue an appropriate quote or comparison. (I’m not sure if this is a gift or a curse because I’m sure there are plenty of people in my life that want to punch me in the face when I throw out a quote. My apologies to those people.)

So, you can imagine how many times I might drop a quote or make a reference to a movie in my conversations with Lindsey that she doesn’t get. Sometimes she points out, yet again, that she’s never seen “The Shawshank Redemption.” Other times she pulls a Katie McBroom and just nods politely with a small laugh and hopes I just move on without calling her out for not knowing what the heck I’m talking about. The number of CLASSIC movies that Lindsey is unfamiliar with is less frustrating than it is shocking. How anyone from our generation can miss out on seeing “Top Gun” at least once in their lives is beyond me.

But there is a second side to every story. While I am the king of all films of the past 20 years, my knowledge of 80s movies, especially those geared towards kids and teenagers, is extremely lacking. When made for TV movies were the order of the day, I was too busy playing basketball or attacking my brother with a plastic machine gun to take in such films. Likewise, almost all 80s teen movies that made retro comebacks in the early 90s, such as “Sixteen Candles,” were of little interest to me. Lindsey has a plethora of knowledge concerning such films, a knowledge that is rendered completely useless with me because I’ve never even heard of a lot of them, let alone seen them. (Truthfully I’m not sure anyone who didn’t grow up with Lindsey knows about some of these movies, with the possible exception of Micah and Sarah.)

To that end, Lindsey and I have struck a deal. We both made a list of films that were in someway significant to us that the other hadn’t seen. We’ll be watching these films over the next few months and, as is the inclination of both of us, we’ll be writing about the results. I’ve termed this experience The Great Film Retrospective and set up a blog to follow the events that come of this little experiment so as not to clog up Facebook with even more self serving dribble than already comes across your front page every day.

This is a win-win-win situation, as Michael Scott would say. First, I get to share some of the greatest films the world with Lindsey and she gets to see them. Second, she gets to share with me some of her childhood favorites that no one has ever seen. Third, I get 30 chances to see if in fact there is a worse movie than “Cabin Fever,” my vote for Most Awful Display of Filmmaking Ever in the History of the World. If you’re interested in seeing the reaction of a 27 year old adult taking in “The Goonies” for the first time (no, I’m not kidding) or what an adult male might do when subjected to “The Babysitter’s Club” (no, I’m not kidding), feel free to take part in TGFR. Maybe you too have never taken in the absolute greatness of “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” or you just want to bask in the glory of “Die Hard.” Either way, stop by the house, bring a snow cone, and get ready to take in some of the best (and worst) movies your local Blockbuster has to offer.

My List:
300, 61*, Blues Brothers, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Crash, Die Hard, Friday Night Lights, Heat, I Am Legend, Into the Wild, Iron Man, L.A. Confidential, Memphis Belle, Monster, Inc., Raising Arizona, Road to Perdition, Rounders, Serenity, The Alamo (2004), The Ghost and the Darkness, The Goonies, The Incredibles, The Legend of Bagger Vance, The Shawshank Redemption, The Sting, The Untouchables, The Usual Suspects, Tombstone, Unbreakable

Lindsey’s List:
April Fool’s Day, The Babysitter’s Club, Better Off Dead, Big Business, Breakfast Club, Burnt Offerings, Camp Cucamonga, Camp Nowhere, Can’t Buy Me Love, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Ever After, Godspell, Grizzly Man, Happy Birthday to Me, Life is Beautiful, Rockin’ with Judy Jetson, She’s Out of Control, Sixteen Candles, The Chipmunk Adventure, The OC, Troop Beverly Hills, Waiting for Guffman, Whatever it Takes, White Christmas, Wish Upon a Star

“Big Business” stars Bette Midler. No I am not kidding,
Brian

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Brian. You’re such an awesome guy, and your taste in movies is so iffy. The Legend of Bagger Vance? Really? A movie about a magical negro teaching some rich, talented white dude with Charlize Theron pining for him that his life is worth living? The opening salvo of Will Smith’s desperate Oscar campaign, and completely accurate bellwether of the boredom and naked pandering to come? You’re ENCOURAGING people to watch this? Lindsey, ask for a mulligan on this one.

    On the other hand, Blues Brothers? Butch Cassidy? Die Hard? LA Confidential? Monsters, Inc.? Raising Arizona? The Incredibles? The Sting? The Usual Suspects? All fine, fine films. I may have to see if I can watch them with you. Are ya'll posting a schedule?

    Lindsey: good heavens. I don't think I've even heard of most of those. How can you complain about all the TV the Stinsons watched when you were watching Rockin' with Judy Jetson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm fully aware that I am the only person in the world who loves "Bagger Vance." But I find it very peaceful for one thing and I appreciate the way the Junuh character is set up to represent the country's recovery from the Great Depression. And it is a beautifully shot film.

    Plus, Oscar mongering has never bothered me. Is it a bit pretentious? Sure, but when more than half of the movies we get each year are things like "Crank 2" I will always appreciate that, at the very least, the makers of the Oscar Mongering Film were trying to make something great, memorable, or emotional, because it's a lot more than the majority of Hollywoodites can say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I actually respect Crank 2 (hypothetically; I haven't actually seen it) more than Vance. Crank 2, it seems to me, is perfectly straightforward in its ambitions, namely to blow my freaking mind with fast cars and crazy stunts and hardbodies. It aims to be That Film and, from what I understand, succeeds in being That Film. That's a success. Vance aims to be Prestigious and Important and a Genius Work of Art. It ends up being Boring and Silly and Built around a Racist Stereotype. Tedium plus repugnance equals fail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will almost always take a film that aspires to be great, even if it fails, over a mindless pile of crap like Crank 2 and all its contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian, how did you get to be an adult without ever seeing White Christmas? You've got to be able to quote the line: "Somewhere between 'Ouch' and 'Boing'"!

    Lindsey, Shawshank is very hard to watch (and VERY long) and you will either want to scratch out your own eyes or Brian's sometime before it's over. But HANG IN THERE to the end, it does have redeeming value. I've never watched the whole thing a second time, but I can say that I loved it as a whole.

    Alice McD

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Legend of Bagger Vance gives me chills when the music builds and you have still zoom of the hole as he is getting into his zone. I LOVE that movie! I also would like to join you when you watch the Ghost and the Darkness! I watched it all the time at Wade and Patty's on Laser Disc. I have to say I am a big Val Kilmer fan! Have you both seen Willow, because if not you need to get that on one of those lists!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I've seen about half of each of your lists... And what I do know of some of the others... Well... It'd sure be priceless to watch you two watching these!!!! I look forward to at least reading about said reactions! :) -melody

    ReplyDelete